So can't resist mentioning this post "Seven Communication Mistakes Managers Make" in HBR Blogs . It is short, to the point and more importantly, has examples we can relate to.
I especially like #5 'Confusing Process with Outcome' .
The seven mistakes mentioned are
- Making controversial statements without doing groundwork first
- Ignoring the realities of power
- Underestimating your audience's intelligence
- Confusing Process with Outcome
- Using appropriate forms of communication
- Ignoring acts of omission