Both of us have the experience of having launched an application on Facebook that had very few takers. We were discussing about the specific aspects of the app that will be useful for the end user, which in turn makes them use the app more.
My friend mentioned the concept of Jobs to be done by Clayton Christensen and suggested that I explore the concept to see how the product’s offerings mapped to real customer needs/ problems people have.
Quoting from the article
- “Job” is shorthand for what an individual really seeks to accomplish in a given circumstance.: This has to consider the experience a person is trying to create. In the above case study, a condo buyer’s experience is very different from a first time home buyer’s .
- The circumstances are more important than customer characteristics, product attributes, new technologies, or trends. Before they understood the underlying job, the developers focused on trying to make the condo units ideal. But when they saw innovation through the lens of the customers’ circumstances, the competitive playing field looked totally different. For example, the new condos were competing not against other new condos but against the idea of no move at all.
- Good innovations solve problems that formerly had only inadequate solutions— or no solution.Prospective buyers were looking for a much simpler life. For that they had to go through the hassles of downsizing their existing possessions. And they didn’t want to go through the same, though it would have resulted in a simplified living. And presenting a third option actually helped them to make the transition to a buyer.
- Jobs are never about function. They have powerful social and emotional dimensions. Reducing the stress of prospective buyers through the additional offerings made the key difference.
Creating the right customer experience and integrating the processes into the company’s process is another key step in addition to identifying the job to be done and building a product or service around the same. The case study of the American Girl Dolls is shown as an example of a company that created the right experience for the purchase and use of the product , with the company process taking in all the experiences.
The article also has a case study of the success of the Southern New Hampshire University’s (SNHU) distance learning program,
The diagram summarizes how jobs are fundamentally different.
- The free chapter available at http://www.newmarketsadvisors.com/jobs-to-be-done-book.html